Re: Backing up SEQUENCEs

From: RSH <RSH_Oracle_at_worldnet.att.net>
Date: Wed, 06 Mar 2002 03:41:49 GMT

I have to agree this would be practically impossible.

If you are doing restore processing from archive logs under Oracle's control, which you seem to imply, I do NOT see how this can happen. The whole purpose of REDO and Archive logging and restoral is to preserve every atomic change to the database and let you bring it back.

You did not mention export/import; obviously if that is your mechanism, unless you freeze the database, perform a complete, valid full export, with a subsequent incremental export, and follow all the instructions Oracle gives to the letter, you could louse up your data dictionary in a lot of ways.

If you are doing image dump and restore, the database and all components must obviously be quiescent (as in SHUT DOWN!) prior to initiating image dumps.

Or of course with warm or online backup, you are essentially doing the same thing, only by having an ALTER TABLESPACE BEGIN BACKUP, a simple alert to let Oralce know it has permission to madly shove things elsewhere until you tell Oracle you are done backing up that tablespace.

The DD and system tablespace are clearly not being either properly backed up or restored correctly, at most you would have gaps in you sequences roughly equivalent to the CACHE factor you used in defining the sequences minus those acquired during the instance's run; unallocated cached sequence numbers are lost forever and Oracle starts up again with another bucket of 10 or 100 or whatever, beginning at the first un-cached sequence number value.

So what is it you are doing here, Comrade?

RSH.
"Bob Swerdlow" <swerdlow_at_maine.rr.com> wrote in message news:3Gah8.2874$26.331653_at_typhoon.maine.rr.com...
> We have ArchiveLog backups set up for our database and when we restore,
all
> the tables in the tablespace are backed up fine. However, we use
SEQUENCEs