Re: Oracle Apps 11i, Release 11.5.4 and earlier - Relational Constructs.

From: NorwoodThree <norwoodthree_at_my-deja.com>
Date: 5 Mar 2002 18:44:39 -0800

"Are relational structures such as primary keys, foreign keys, and alternatecandidate keys (i.e. unique indexes) enforced with application code, or hey enforced through the dbms?"

=> Thru the rdbms...thats why you have an rdbms.

"Is there an application data dictionary that acts as a virtual replica of dbms data dictionary, or does 11i ensure that the dbms enforces these conventions by prividing the definitions for ddl upon installation/migration?"

=> No, there is no additional "data dictionary" for the apps. I'm
not sure what you mean by the second half of the question...the rdbms "enforces itself". If you have a poorly written Oracle form for example that allows for a different datatype or constraint violation, the RDBMS will throw errors.

I'd suggest trying to get a hold of some basic 11i architecture manuals...please dont be offended but your questions display a severe lack of understanding basic Oracle RDBMS function and structure. Received on Tue Mar 05 2002 - 20:44:39 CST