Re: Algorithm for calculating extent size in LMT

From: Nuno Souto <nsouto_at_optushome.com.au.nospam>
Date: Wed, 06 Mar 2002 01:48:28 GMT

>Its also funny to hear the "hey you want contigous extents so the head doesn't
>have to move on the disk". They may have been true in 1983 or something but
>today with disk arrays, volume managers, raid everywhere, MULTI-USER SYSTEMS
>(this one just totally kills that head moving theory), and so on -- well, you
>get the picture.

Hehehe! This is such a good one! I always get a chuckle out of it at the meetings with the "experts". There is always one that starts the old thing about "head movement" yadda yadda. To which I usually reply: how do you monitor/measure head movement overhead in a modern, cached, RAID5 disk farm with 4 hardware RAIDed disks per logical unit? Usually the argument dies right there. There is always the odd one that comes up with "sar -d", though...

Context, darn it! Context!

Cheers
Nuno Souto
nsouto_at_optushome.com.au.nospam Received on Tue Mar 05 2002 - 19:48:28 CST