Re: Backing up SEQUENCEs

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Wed, 06 Mar 2002 00:29:02 +0100

On Tue, 05 Mar 2002 21:22:07 GMT, "Bob Swerdlow" <swerdlow_at_maine.rr.com> wrote:

>We have ArchiveLog backups set up for our database and when we restore, all
>the tables in the tablespace are backed up fine. However, we use SEQUENCEs
>in the database, too, and they are not backed up. So, when we try to use
>the restored database, we get duplicate sequence numbers.
>
>Is there a way to associate a sequence with a tablespace or is there a
>separate step needed to back them up?
>
>Many Thanks,

Your backup procedure is not correct. In my more than 10 years of Oracle experience I have never seen this. Sequences are defined in the datadictionary only. You say you are not backing up your datadictionary, ie the SYSTEM tablespace. Your suggestion a sequence needs to be associated with is very strange as is your phrase 'when we restore, all the tables are backed up fine' Are you sure you are performing a backup? You aren't exporting your database by any chance aren't you? If you are not performing a full export you aren't exporting your sequences. Are you sure you haven't got everything mixed up?

Regards

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Tue Mar 05 2002 - 17:29:02 CST