Re: Algorithm for calculating extent size in LMT

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2002 20:13:01 -0000

Connor,

That's a slightly misleading, or perhaps I should say over-optimistic, test case
because all the extents are probably
sequentially adjacent. I set my test up to avoid the accidental benefit of Oracle having a concealed optimisation for the
special case of consecutively numbered
extents being physically adjacent in the bitmap - maybe Oracle is dropping 8
extents at a time in your example, and
reducing its logging requirements as
a consequence.

Remember the primary rule of testing
Oracle:

    "Why be awkward, when with a little
    care and attention you can be an
    absolute bastard."

Mind you, as you pointed out for someone else's benefit on Metalink recently - I bet you didn't have a tablespace quota when
you did that one !

--
Jonathan Lewis
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk

Now running 3-day intensive seminars

Host to The Co-Operative Oracle Users' FAQ

Author of: