Re: problems with reinstallations with bitmap option and paralell-select option

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Tue, 05 Mar 2002 19:20:07 +0100

On 5 Mar 2002 08:39:50 -0800, harald.buesching.hb_at_germany.agfa.com (Harald Buesching) wrote:

>Some days ago we went from 8.0.5.00 to 8.0.5.26 on NT.
>Before applying the patch the plan was to install the bitmap and
>paralell select
>option. But we didn't find them!
>There were several menues, and when we chose the RDB or maybe Database
>server product from our CD, we only had a chance to install the
>spatial option and other stuff.
>
>The only idea I have that we went years ago (Nobody knows nothing here
>about the installation, and it was before my time) from something like
>7.XXXX via
>8.0.0 to 8.0.5 and these two options are now not avaible for us.
>
>Has anybody an idea how to install the desired options?
>
>(Don't tell me that we should upgrade because the version is not
>supported!)
>
>Greetings from merry old Cologne, Harald Buesching.

Most likely you have the 8.0.5 workgroup edition for NT (can be verified with a select * from v$version). This edition doesn't contain the bitmap option and the parallel query option, you need Oracle Enterprise Edition for this.
From the version you are quoting and your additional comments, I guess your company is still accepting DM as valid currency. I don't know how you are going to convince Oracle to sell you 8.0.5 Enterprise. Probably you should just learn to live with your workgroup edition and keep running sw as old as Cologne. Evidently it will show on your resume.

Regards

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Tue Mar 05 2002 - 12:20:07 CST