Re: Using Oracle to facade Sybase

From: Andre van Winssen \(andrew\) <andrew-no-spam-svp_at_info.nl>
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2002 13:32:08 +0100

Hi,
this is the 2nd Andre I am answering today :-)

You can use database links that use HS for this purpose. It is described in the 8i Distributed Databases Systems guide. It boils down to following:
1) create an ODBC datasource that points to Sybase database 2) setup HS:
2a) create a file %oracle_home%\hs\admin\initgo2sybase.ora

       this should contain a line like
       HS_FDS_CONNECT_INFO = <name of datasource created in step 1)
2b) add an entry to your listener.ora file and restart/reload the listener, e.g.:
(SID_DESC=
  (SID_NAME=go2sybase)
  (ORACLE_HOME = E:\oracle\817EE)
  (PROGRAM=hsodbc))

3) create a database link, e.g.:
CREATE DATABASE LINK mysybase
  CONNECT TO sybase user IDENTIFIED BY sybase user password USING

'(DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=<oracleserver>)(PORT=1521))(CONNE CT_DATA=(SID=go2sybase))(HS=))'

4) run queries that reference the database link., e.g. SELECT * FROM TABLE_at_mysybase;

And yes, it might be a good idea to take snapshots of the sybase tables in your oracle database and run the joins using that snapshot.

Regards,
Andre van Winssen