Re: Algorithm for calculating extent size in LMT

From: Jonathan Lewis <jonathan_at_jlcomp.demon.co.uk>
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2002 08:35:05 -0000

There is a degree to which initial, next, minextents are used even with LMTs. Oracle will calculate the nominal space requested according to these values, and then supply you with a number of extents according to its own policy that at least match that size.
E.g. in an LMT with uniform 2M, if you set

    initial = 3M, next = 10 M, minextents = 5, then Oracle will calculate

    3 + 4 * 10 = 43
and supply you with a starting size of 22 extents (i.e. the smallest number of extents that gives you at least 43MB).

It's harder to predict in an autoallocate, since it depends on what empty space actually exists already, but there is a fair chance that your starting segment would have

    3 x 1MB and 5 x 8MB.

--
Jonathan Lewis
http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk

Now running 3-day intensive seminars

Host to The Co-Operative Oracle Users' FAQ

Author of:

Ganesh Raja wrote in message ...

>Comments Embedded
>
>Regards,
>Ganesh R
>
>"EP" <ep_at_plusnet.pl> wrote in message news:<a60ff8$isp$1_at_news.tpi.pl>...
>> > There is no such thing. Extent sizes are determined by developers and
DBAs