Re: recreating oracle instance

From: RSH <RSH_Oracle_at_worldnet.att.net>
Date: Tue, 05 Mar 2002 08:07:20 GMT

Having said all that, for an upgrade, it's immaterial!

You should do a full export followed by an incremental immediately afterward with the DB in RESTRICTED mode, and perform the upgrade in situ as it were.

Upgrades can involve all sorts of PL/SQL and other stuff and usually do; if you import after an upgrade, heaven knows why, you can clobber a million things. DON'T do THAT.

If you import data after an upgrade, you WILL have a mess! Think, the software doesn't match the database, the PL/SQL is all out of whack and everything else is a problem.

If you did the procedure I previously described, the database and dictionary and user ids would all be consistent, but out of synch with your software. Bleah.

Back the whole thing up and follow Oracle's directions. This is not a time to get tricky.

RSH.