Is this method of offline backup OK?

From: mark <mark_brehmen_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 4 Mar 2002 20:26:45 -0800

Hi. We take bakups offline. Please tell me whether the way i backup oracle is fine. If not i will correct it if you point out the mistake. I got this from a FAQ.
Oracle version 8.17

To backup offline

STEP1 Connect to ORCL using administrator username and password

STEP2
Do the following queries to get a list of all files that needs to be backed up:

	 select name from sys.v_$datafile;
	 select member from sys.v_$logfile;
	 select name from sys.v_$controlfile;

STEP3
Then do this (Important, else the backups are worthless)

shutdown immediate;

You must get a message stating that shutdown is successful. The below text gives the full message.
"Database closed.
Database dismounted.
ORACLE instance shut down."

STEP4 Copy the files got in STEP1 to a different physical location (Such as a tape drive)

To restore, just copy the files back to their original locations .Again, be sure to shutdown the database before copying . Received on Mon Mar 04 2002 - 22:26:45 CST