Re: Algorithm for calculating extent size in LMT

From: Howard J. Rogers <dba_at_hjrdba.com>
Date: Tue, 5 Mar 2002 15:09:28 +1100

No, we're not in agreement at all, because you claim extent numbers and contiguity affect performance, and I say they don't. I've demonstrated the issue with some hard, repeatable numbers, in a post made earlier, and in a document readily downloadable at
http://www.hjrdba.com/adminpdfs/contiguous.pdf . You *claim* to have benchmarked it ...but haven't provided the numbers.

Face it: for extent contiguity to make any difference to performance, you've got to make the assumption that extents which are logically contiguous are also physically contiguous on disk. They're not, which means there can be no relationship between the two things, and performance cannot therefore be affected. And as is also demonstrated with those tests, the extent numbers make precisely zilch difference either: 957 extents or 15, the numbers come out the same.

For the record, I have about as much faith in your claim to have performed benchmarks as I have in your infamous claim I include here to remind us all of the good ol' days:

"The create database command does not, in and of itself, create any rollback segments anywhere. You must specify them. At least that is my previous experience and my experience with 8.1.7. The only rollback segments created were
the ones I coded." (Posted by Daniel A. Morgan (dmorgan_at_exesolutions.com) Date: Wed, 14 Mar 2001 20:50:15 -0800 )

Good old Google.

HJR

Resources for Oracle: http://www.hjrdba.com
===============================

"damorgan" <dan.morgan_at_ci.seattle.wa.us> wrote in message

> I think we are, possibly, all in agreement here. I can't imagine a single
reason
> not to use uniform size.
>
> But all of my testing indicates performance degredation with large numbers
of
> extents. Given that those extents force multiple disk reads/writes as
opposed to
> multiple contiguous extents. I have benchmarked it on an NT4SP5, Solaris
Ultra,