Re: Insert trigger to enforce uniqueness

From: RSH <RSH_Oracle_at_worldnet.att.net>
Date: Mon, 04 Mar 2002 08:06:05 GMT

Despite the whacko responses you may have received, the notion of creating a UI on a column or two that you desire enforcement of UK constraints (not, that does not mean Tony Blair is restricted from entering California) seems sensible, except-- if it is 3rd party off the shelf software such as I have had to deal with for many years, one cannot simply just modify the schema without written concurrence from the maker of that software; that of course would include Oracle itself insofar as Oracle Applications go.

The gentleman from Oracle is well spoken in his treatment of this issue.

However, by creating constraints on software (this includes databases, a hard concept for many to grasp these days), you may be placing yourselves / your firm in a breach of warranty difficulty.

Any modification of a schema that is installed/created by a third party software platform has to be vetted and approved by all parties concerned.

Certainly, a unique index seems a sensible solution, but if you make such a change without a written agreement from the third party vendor, you place your organization at risk for at least non-support, if not refusal to upgrade.

Before making such a change it would be best to consult corporate counsel and your superiors; as well I doubt those 3rd party people have any control over auditing, which you might use at least as a tracking mechanism instead, until you get the official okay from Above.

Just trying to be helpful.