Re: Another angle on this....

From: Tom McClelland <tom.mcclelland_at_mondas.com>
Date: 3 Mar 2002 11:38:56 -0800

From what I've seen the behaviour is more extreme than implied by the other respondant.

Just because something has been committed it does not follow that even a select statement that begins *after* the commit will see it. As I understand it the guarantee from a select statement is that you will see a consistent view of the database, but not necessarily the most up-to-date. You can see this by doing an update then commit in one PLSQL session, and immediately querying the data on another connection. You don't always see the update that you just commited yet.

Slightly counter-intuitive, but having read the docs I think I can see the justification for this behaviour, on performance grounds.

Regards