Re: Quick Tale: Lost production database because of keyboard and Veritas Cluster Server

From: Sebastiano Pilla <etechweb_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 3 Mar 2002 15:11:31 +0100

milkfilk <milkfilk_at_yahoo.com> wrote:

> What is meant by hot backups? We are doing full exports every night
> (CONSISTENT keyword enabled), we'll do archive log mode and we'll do
> cold file copies every week.

Hot backups are backups done with the instance up & running, and serving data as usual. Archivelog mode is a prerequisite for taking hot backups that can be used for recovery.

Full exports are useful, but for a different purpose: I like to think of the differences as thinking that exports protect yourself from logical errors (i.e., dropping a table by mistake), while backups protect you from physical errors (i.e. a disk going bad).

Have a look at Howard J. Rogers's site at <http://www.hjrdba.com>, there's a PDF document on Oracle's backup and recovery very worth a look.

Sebastiano Pilla Received on Sun Mar 03 2002 - 08:11:31 CST