Re: oracle hogs all memory

From: Howard J. Rogers <dba_at_hjrdba.com>
Date: Sun, 3 Mar 2002 10:29:50 +1100

Always, always, always include your Oracle version, because answers to these sorts of questions depend heavily on what version you are using.

Rant over.

I'll assume you're using 8i, because anything earlier than that isn't certified for W2K anyway.

You need to get familiar with your init.ora (have a look in Oracle_Home\admin\pfile). Lots of configurable parameters there that have a direct impact on how much memory Oracle takes whenever you start your Instance. Shared_pool_size is obvious place to start. You also need to look at db_block_buffers, java_pool_size and large_pool_size. If you're on 8.1.6, java_pool_size can be reduced to 32K if you're not actually using Java (no lower, though, unfortunately). Log_buffer also has a role to play, but it should be fairly small (no more than 1M).

Configure all of those appropriately, and you should see the memory requirements come down a lot. You need to make sure that the sum of them all (that is, your entire SGA) is no more than about 350M, because (though it's merely a rule of thumb) you don't want an SGA taking more than about 1/3rd of available RAM (otherwise, the O/S pages out too much).

You might want to check out some documentation, too. You might start at my site, the Books link, and have a look at the database architecture document.

Regards
HJR

Resources for Oracle: http://www.hjrdba.com