Re: Oracle Instance Terminated

From: Yaw <yawi_at_bigpond.com>
Date: Sat, 02 Mar 2002 23:29:52 GMT

No, I wouldn't call you a flame. The information you provided is quite useful. Actually, every single reply to my post is useful, because they generally suggest another approach. I'm not expecting every approach to be a solution, but at least it can help eliminate one out of the many possible causes for error out there.

My undertone was never that Oracle was a crap/prone to crash/ too difficult to bother with product. At the expense of being labelled a troll and starting a flame war, I think sometimes people take questions about Oracle too personal. I never intended to offend people by asking what I now realise to be extremely simple questions. I probably would have found the problems with alertlogs myself if I had the right documentation. However, as you can see the documentations I found weren't so useful in this situation.

You're right, there are other documentation out there not on the OTN site which may have been useful. But I was looking for the Offical Oracle documentation on the Oracle website, and found nothing. I was probably looking for it in the wrong place or something.

When you refer to the Oracle Database Administration course, is that an actual course or just book? Because when you raise this, I start to think that you're probably assuming that if I'm enquiring about DBA stuff, I really should have some basic DBA knowledge. Which is a fair enough assumption. I've only just starting using Oracle about a month a ago, and so I'm not a DBA. I just so happen to be the guy in charge of administering the DB as it's the task deligated to me.

Thanks for your website link. I'll definitely have a look through it. Some of the FAQs look very interesting and would be good to go through.

Yaw.

"Howard J. Rogers" <dba_at_hjrdba.com> wrote in message news:a5r4sk$am8$1_at_lust.ihug.co.nz...
> At the risk of this being called a flame, can I suggest you take a deep
> breath, pause asking questions whose every undertone suggests that 'this
> Oracle product is crap/prone to crash/ too difficult to bother with', and
> get thee to any number of websites where plenty of documentation is
> available.
>
> I'm not trying to be awkward: honestly, the alert log is covered in great
> depth in Chapter 2 of the Oracle Database Administration course, so it's
> considered fairly basic. And whilst it's good to have tried looking at
what
> is available on the link you gave, there are stacks more of them out
there.
> We all have to start somewhere... so now's your chance.
>
> So, first try my site... and have a look at the 'Other Resources' page
> (don't forget the other pages, either, though!). You'll find links there
> to, amongst others, Jonathan Lewis' site (he hosts the 'Co-operative
FAQ'),