Re: Using packaged constants in queries

From: RSH <RSH_Oracle_at_worldnet.att.net>
Date: Fri, 01 Mar 2002 18:13:28 GMT

You're welcome, Alexander!

All I could see from what you were going through was that storing your constants in a table and getting them out that way with simple selects that can be done in either SQL or PL/SQL seemed a lot less complicated; I am not criticizing your work or saying we could not make it work, but unless there was a compelling reason to store and retrieve constant variables (is that an oxymoron?) in code, in general, I do not think is a good practice, except as I say, if there are extraordinary reasons.

to grab variables out of your "constant variables" table, into PL/SQL, use a

SELECT INTO.... and then you are good to go with whatever constants.

Plus, if the gravimetric acceleration, the speed of light, or Pi ever change, you can update it in a table.!

:)