Re: Backup toubles: How and when can I delete my archive logs?

From: Jeff <jeff_at_work.com>
Date: Fri, 01 Mar 2002 13:24:36 GMT

In article <a5m6jq$p7s$1_at_lust.ihug.co.nz>, "Howard J. Rogers" <dba_at_hjrdba.com> wrote:
>Two things. It's utterly pointless taking the thing in and out of
>archivelog mode. What's the point? You're trying, I presume, to ensure
>that your archive sets are as up to date as they can possibly be. Why?
>What you don't backup today, you'll backup tomorrow.

Uh, he's not exactly taking it in and out of archivelog mode (you can't do that with an opened database anyway). He's just stopping the archiver temporarily while he copies off the existing archived logs and does a mass delete on the archive directory. It'd be bad if he happened to delete a new archived log that didn't get copied off. Probably an extreme long shot on that happening, but still a possibility that should be accounted for. Murphy's Law applies.

>Second, why on earth are you restoring controlfiles? There is only one

Yeah, this is probably what's causing his "backup troubles."

>the start of your backup cycle). Nevertheless, it pays to keep at least 2
>or 3 days of archives available... I can show you posts from here where
>people have discovered that they've been backing up corrupt datafiles for a
>week, and need to restore from much further back than they ever anticipated.

That is always good advice... but I got the impression that he'd intended to keep older logs anyway... just that he didn't understand why Oracle was still asking for them after restoring and recovering a more recent backup. Received on Fri Mar 01 2002 - 07:24:36 CST