Re: Partition do not work

From: Billy Verreynne <vslabs_at_onwe.co.za>
Date: Fri, 01 Mar 2002 07:28:51 GMT

pagesflames_at_usa.net (Dusan Bolek) wrote:

>??? I've never used Personal Edition, but what the hell is the purpose
>of partitioning on something designed to run on small PC with maybe
>one or two gigs of data ? I understand that someone wants to use
>Partitioning on Standard Edition, but on PE ?

Ah.. the old issue of whether or not size matter. It is not the size of the ship, it is the motion of the ocean. ;-)

To explain. User a data generator to gen some data. Then attempt to load that 10 million tiny rows into a PE/SE/whatever on a PC. The problems you will encounter is the same ones that you will face trying to load 1 billion rows on a huge Unix cluster.

The difference is that on the PC, you can go through that learning curve and problems much quicker than trying to do that first on a huge (ito size) database on a Unix platform.

The size of a row or table (or even the database itself for that matter) is much less revelant than what the numbers of rows are, when it comes to performance and partition issues.

--
Billy