Re: Quick Tale: Lost production database because of keyboard and Veritas Cluster Server

From: Rich Teer <rich_at_rite-group.com>
Date: Fri, 01 Mar 2002 01:03:35 GMT

On 28 Feb 2002, milkfilk wrote:

> Rich Teer <rich_at_rite-group.com> wrote in message news:<Pine.GSO.4.44.0202280942280.16793-100000_at_grover.rite-group.com>...
> > On Thu, 28 Feb 2002, RSH wrote:
> >
> > > Touching anything on a live production system is something I would never do;
> > > but it has happened and a person has a problem. All I have mostly seen are
> > > variations of "How could you be so STUPID?" or lists of things that if done
> > > before the fact could have prevented the current situation. And now, jumping
> > > down my throat because I objected to treating someone with a genuine mess on
> > > their hands as an object of ridicule instead of offering useful assistance,
> > > and then treating me with a similar level of contempt.
> >
> > It's no excuse for such behaviour, but look at it this way: there are
> > many very talented people who frequent these newsgroups, many of whom
> > are out of work - possibly because someone with less (or no) experience
> > is "doing" their job, cheaper. These cheap newbies blow things up,
> > and then ask here for free help - from the very people that they're
> > helping to keep out of work (indirectly, perhaps).
>
> Excuse for such behavior? I didn't realize I had to justify "If at
> first you don't suceed, try try again"

Whoa, easy there! The behaviour I was talking about was that of flaming you, not what you did. Sorry if I was unclear.

> I was unemployed after the Sept 11th crash. Believe me, I'm making
> what I'm worth. Not nothing, not everything. I'm making something
> reasonable.

I've not had a decent contract since May. At least it means I get enough time to work on my book (the odd bits I do get here and there help keep the wolf away...).

> I apologize for being defensive. A week like mine make you second
> guess yourself a lot.

No need - we all need to rant occassionally...

--
Rich Teer

President,
Rite Online Inc.