Re: Quick Tale: Lost production database because of keyboard and Veritas Cluster Server

From: milkfilk <milkfilk_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 28 Feb 2002 15:35:13 -0800

Rich Teer <rich_at_rite-group.com> wrote in message news:<Pine.GSO.4.44.0202280942280.16793-100000_at_grover.rite-group.com>...
> On Thu, 28 Feb 2002, RSH wrote:
>
> > Touching anything on a live production system is something I would never do;
> > but it has happened and a person has a problem. All I have mostly seen are
> > variations of "How could you be so STUPID?" or lists of things that if done
> > before the fact could have prevented the current situation. And now, jumping
> > down my throat because I objected to treating someone with a genuine mess on
> > their hands as an object of ridicule instead of offering useful assistance,
> > and then treating me with a similar level of contempt.
>
> It's no excuse for such behaviour, but look at it this way: there are
> many very talented people who frequent these newsgroups, many of whom
> are out of work - possibly because someone with less (or no) experience
> is "doing" their job, cheaper. These cheap newbies blow things up,
> and then ask here for free help - from the very people that they're
> helping to keep out of work (indirectly, perhaps).

Excuse for such behavior? I didn't realize I had to justify "If at first you don't suceed, try try again"

While one man is afraid to make a mistake, another is erring, learning and growing stronger.

You think it's limited to technology? geekism? anything? http://www.washtech.com/washtechway/1_18/cover/3657-1.html

> I guess it is a little unfair to blame the newbies (we were all newbies
> once), but us unemoloyed people have got to vent our frustration somehow!

I was unemployed after the Sept 11th crash. Believe me, I'm making what I'm worth. Not nothing, not everything. I'm making something reasonable.

Simple economic theory will tell you that everything evens out and valuable skill pays off. If you are in demand, chances are you'll get paid eventually. But I think I'm getting out of scope.

> Of course, the real people to blame are the clueless, cheapskate
> management types who hire newbies - with no experience, and noone
> else on site to back them up (mentor them, if you will). But the
> PHB's don't come here asking for help, so I'm afraid the messanger
> gets shot instead.

Now I'm on the defensive. Cover your ears.

I may be a newbie to this particular problem, but I'm not a newbie. I've written my own PHP-nuke equivalent, done simple MySQL distributed db design, Linux clustering (one-disk new node setup with LVM, RedHat Kickstart and a zillion other automated services)

How about solved this little gem in java with no formal training?

Programming Problem

Given a deck of nCards unique cards, cut the deck iCut cards from top and perform a perfect shuffle. A perfect shuffle begins by putting down the bottom card from the top portion of the deck followed by the bottom card from the bottom portion of the deck followed by the next card from the top portion, etc., alternating cards until one portion is used up. The remaining cards go on top. The problem is to find the number of perfect shuffles required to return the deck to its original order. Your function should be declared as:

    static long shuffles(int nCards,int iCut);

I'll send you my java source. I've built linux routers, BIND8 domains, Tomcat / JSP stuff, coded my own Perl/CGI photo album, countless Linux/Solaris scripts. I wasn't a computer science major, I've self studied everything and I have no idea why I feel like justifying all this crap to a #$%_at_ing anonymous group anyway.

I apologize for being defensive. A week like mine make you second guess yourself a lot.

I should get some sleep and keep the good stuff you all have said.

--Milk Received on Thu Feb 28 2002 - 17:35:13 CST