Re: A searchable datastructure for represeting attributes?

From: --CELKO-- <71062.1056_at_compuserve.com>
Date: 28 Feb 2002 14:27:57 -0800

>> Again, since car seems to be a popular example imagine you have a
database
of cars in a town where almost 99% everyone likes exactly the same sort of
car a blue toyota. If you store a 5 million rows like:

 id make color
 1 toyota blue
 2 toyota blue
 3 toyota blue
 5000000 totoyta blue

 Yes it is very good and normalized in Dr Codd sense but you still store 100
times more information than you need to store with what I described in approach_1. That is absense of a key indicates a default of make=toyota
and color=blue. Yes I can see how this is anathema to relational design but
it is a real world problem. <<

You are confusing PHYSICAL storage with the LOGICAL model. Yes, many file-oriented version of SQL (SQL Server, DB2, Oracle), tend to actually PHYSICALLY repeat values in storage. But If I were using the Nucleus SQL engine from Sand technology, there would be a bit vector with a 1 for (make = 'toyota') and a 1 for (color = 'blue') at the appropriate positions. This bit vector is then compressed and all queries are done on the compressed form. The original data is re-constructed one column at a time on output.

The more repetition in the data, the smaller the Nucleus database gets. The Nucleus engine invites you to split telephone numbers in (area code, exchange, phone number) columns to save space because area codes and exchanges repeat.

In fact, a good rule of thumb for this product is that the size of the entire database will be 80% or less of the size of the original data. Your data could well be less than 20% of the original size.

Obviously, this is a data warehouse tool. Received on Thu Feb 28 2002 - 16:27:57 CST