Re: Quick Tale: Lost production database because of keyboard and Veritas Cluster Server

From: milkfilk <milkfilk_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 28 Feb 2002 14:09:13 -0800

> If you still have a copy (old, new or corrupted ... doesn't matter ) of the
> system tablespace they should be able to name all
> tables and columns ....

Our system tablespace is what was corrupted. From my limited knowledge, that's the end except for DUL (unsupported).

> Sorry to hear what happened !
>
> Just out of interest
> - what were the initial ORA errors and what actions did the DBA(s) initially
> take ?
> - if you're running a cluster then I'm thinking 24/24 7/7 - thus you should

It's a Veritas Cluster, like the disks are clustered. The Oracle processes could say to be in a HA cluster (one fails, the other server starts up)

> have hot backups ? where are do they fit in this whole
> story and why didn't the DBA restore from hot backup and recover ?

ORA-00600 - which I think is an unknown error We didn't do hot backups (I assume this is archivelog mode) because of disk space. We are doing it now, and we're going to buy more disks if neccessary.

Oracle told us that there is a certain parameter that would force it to come up but at the same time risk it being corrupted forever. We cold copied the files before doing this. We brought it up using the special parameter and that led to a ORA-07445 (I think this is equiv to a 00600).

We didn't have backups because we are too damn busy. Now we have plenty of time to work on it because it's justifiable now. Once bitten ... Received on Thu Feb 28 2002 - 16:09:13 CST