Re: Backup toubles: How and when can I delete my archive logs?

From: Jeff <jeff_at_work.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 18:56:43 GMT

In article <3c7e5f92$0$7110$4d4efb8e_at_news.be.uu.net>, "Steven Verstrepen" <sv2703[no.sp_at_m]hotmail.com> wrote:

>I understand I must keep at least all archive log files since my last hot
>backup (and even more, to have a more secure system). What I don't
>understand is why Oracle asks for the archive logs of two weeks ago, while I
>have restored yesterday's backup set. Everyday I make a new full hot

One thing I would add to your script is to force a log switch before (as well as the one you're doing after) the backup. You are correct--you shouldn't need archive logs from much before the start of a full backup. Forcing the log switch should force a checkpoint and synchronize the files. Checking v$log for the current log file, you shouldn't need an archive log from before this after the backup is complete. I have no idea why it would need an archive log from weeks prior to a full backup you did yesterday.

One thing I'm not sure of is why you're also restoring the controlfile, assuming you're attempting to perform a complete recovery and no tablespaces have changed status--gone from read-write to read-only or vice versa. It shouldn't be necessary unless the controlfile has been completely lost and cannot be recreated (you should regularly backup the controlfile to trace) or a tablespace has changed status (but should've also done a backup immediately after that) or you're attempting to restore a database (whose structure has changed since the last backup) to a prior point-in-time. Received on Thu Feb 28 2002 - 12:56:43 CST