Re: Database file configuration for backup/recovery

From: bdick <bdick_at_cox.net>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 15:14:49 GMT

"Edzard" <edzard_at_volcanomail.com> wrote in message news:5d75e934.0202231458.6ba6e422_at_posting.google.com...

> Hello Brian,
>
> Thanks for taking my suggestion seriously. Below is how I worked it
> out in detail:
>
> Disk1 (60GB IDE)
> Control file (1)
> Redo log members (member b of all groups)
> Archived redo logs (LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST_1)
> Online backup of redundancy set
>
> Disk2 (9GB SCSI)
> Control file (2)
> TS_MYAPP_DATA data file
> TS_MYAPP_INDEX data file
> TS_MYAPP_TEMP data file
>
> Disk3 (4GB SCSI)
> Control file (3)
> Redo log members (member a of all groups)
>
> Network:
> Archived redo logs (LOG_ARCHIVE_DEST_2)
> Online backup of redundancy set (2)

Thanks for the detailed answer. I don't have a network drive available right now. Everyone I approached said "Not on my machine". So, I'll forego the second archive log set and second redundancy set. I'll let my boss fight for the network drive.

One thing I have noticed already with my original configuration is that a hot backup of my tablespaces is slow because I have my index tablespace on the same drive as my second redundancy set. I'm sure I have disk contention in other places, but with my transaction load I'm not noticing it much.

--
Later,
BEDick