Re: Maximum Oracle instances on a Server? - Databases reside on servers.

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 12:49:59 -0000

Indeed. I agree entirely. Databases and instances are definitely not the same thing. In addition the problem would also not have occured if each schema had its own tablespaces. You could have recovered just the schema you wanted using export/import or tablespace recovery.

Of course there is also an argument that if users have just trashed production thinking it was test an hour or so downtime at their expense can only be a beneficial learning experience. or something.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA

"Paul Drake" <paled_at_home.com> wrote in message

> Mark wrote:
<snip>
> > This configuration has worked well in the past but recently we have
> > run into situations where we needed to do "emergency maintenance" on
> > one of the schemas to restore the schema to the state before the users
> > truncated the production tables thinking they waer test data. The
> > application, from a vendor not home grown, has the test and production
> > data in separate schemas but the application allows users to switch
> > between prod and test at will.) We could not get the approval of the
> > other application owners to take down the instance for the repairs. So
> > the first group had to wait. This would not have been an issue if the
> > application was in its own instance.
<snip>