Re: Looking for a solution building in oracle 8.16 could use ideas/solutions

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 12:19:02 -0000

I think the answer is 'with extreme difficulty if at all'.

What springs to mind to me is some sort of middletier app (vb com component) that gets passed the query parameters - sends themn to the db and recieves the 'component' slides from the db and assembles them into a single presentation by automating powerpoint. the result of this operation is them passed back to the end-user.

Difficulties I could see with this.

scalability. not sure how well you could code this logic in a scalable fashion.
end-users. what happens when the user decides he wants 782 of your thousand slides in a presentation and is sitting at the end of a modem connection.

In addition I think the decision on where to store the slides depends upon how many of them you are likely to be holding. storing 1000 in the db may not be that unreasonable but (in my opinion) after a certain point file stores become better at storing files than databases. with intermedia of course you can index the external files just as easily as you could if they were in blobs.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA

"WEBBOY" <webboy_at_totalconfusion.org> wrote in message

> I kinda thought the same thing then use Powerpoint viewer or activex
> to display the ppt files.
>
> Then comes to mind the client/enduser has offices all over the world
> some in places T1 refers to a Arnold movie.
>
> Keeping that in mind, so we store the ppt files in the database. lets
> say 1000 ppt files with just one slide in it.
>
> How does one deliver the user his search result (lets say 7 slides) as
> one complete ppt file?
>

> On Thu, 28 Feb 2002 02:07:32 GMT, "RSH" <RSH_Oracle_at_worldnet.att.net>
> wrote:
>
> >Why not just store the slide files themselves in Oracle?!!?
> >
> >Instead of going through the external file pointer stuff, which was a
real
> >***** in an image storage & retrieval 3rd party app we had once.; of
course
> >that was back in the stone age of 7.1 - 7.2; the vendor of course
pointed
> >to files that held the images externally.
> >
> >"That vendor" still ticks me off whenever I think of them; they also
wrote
> >their own DB networking s/w, which spawned 8 processes per user just to
get
> >from desktop to the DB. (THAT, I put my foot down on, and SQL*NET
> >miraculously was supported overnight, the day after I screamed at the
> >company's president.)
> >
> >But enough of that. Point is, even in 7, after hours my boss and I would
> >play with storing an Access .mdb file in a column in Oracle and all kinds
of
> >tricks like those Russian wooden dolls that fit inside each other. It all
> >worked just fine, and this was before CON*TEXT / media options were
around.
> >With create-your-own object types, and the vastly expanded media
management
> >features Oracle has these days, I'd store those guys (or gals) inside
> >Oracle, and make use of the rich palette of features available today.
> >Especially since .ppt files are not enormous, like say, trying to store
Gone