Re: A searchable datastructure for represeting attributes?

From: Obnoxio The Clown <obnoxio_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 10:16:22 GMT

On 27 Feb 2002 15:28:30 -0800, 71062.1056_at_compuserve.com (--CELKO--) wrote:

>The short answer is "No" and the long answer is that you are
>committing what I call "The OO Programmer's Mistakes" now that I have
>had to clean it up a few times. Your first approach is a
>META-DATABASE model trying to wedge itself into a DATABASE. It just
>don't work!! And I get $1500 to $2000 per day to tell your boss this
>when it falls apart -- before we start replacing the entire schema.
>In my experience, the collapse starts about 1-2 years after deployment
>-- when the database starts to get big.

I do believe my reply using Informix Dynamic Server 9.x's OR capabilities would give some sort of compromise. However, your exception collection would still be vulnerable to typos, etc.

But in the main, I'm 100% in agreement with CELKO. If I was doing it, I would just go the boring old relation route. Received on Thu Feb 28 2002 - 04:16:22 CST