Database conversion from US7ASCII to UTF8

From: Stan <stan0074_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 10:08:10 GMT

We have a front-end application thats running on java servlets/perl/jdbc connected to an oracle 8.1.6 database and recently we did a conversion of database from US7ASCII to UTF8 to support multi-lingual features. As US7ASCII is a strict superset to UTF8, i was able to change the database characterset as well national character set without any problems. Also, i was told to do an export and import with NLS_LANG properly set to avoid any non-ascii chars dangling in the database without being converted to UTF8. So everything went well without any issues, but now all the non-ascii characters i.e. > 128 that were in US7ASCII database, now got converted to ? in UTF8 database. Is there a way to avoid these ? marks as am getting sun.io.MalformedInput Exception error on our java front-ends. But if i do an update on the tables like below, i get away with these errors.

update x set col1=convert(col1, 'UTF8', 'US7ASCII') where col1!=convert(col1, 'US7ASCII');

Note : all our frontend applications input forms are also utf8 complaint.

any solutions or workarounds.

-Stan Received on Thu Feb 28 2002 - 04:08:10 CST