Re: Correct uniform size for temporary LMT ?

From: Niall Litchfield <n-litchfield_at_audit-commission.gov.uk>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 09:56:43 -0000

"Christian Svensson" <chse30_at_hotmail.com> wrote in message news:ccc2a7eb.0202280003.1813986b_at_posting.google.com...
> > Tablespaces don't cost more. I can not imaging using less than three
> > tablespaces for data and three for indexes.
> >
> > Then size them, after examining your segments, to something like this:
> >
> > 128K, 5M, 25M
> >
> > so that you have small for lookups, medium where appropriate, and large
> > for the largest: Usually I use more depending on my analysis and getting
> > the best possible usage of my disk space.
> >
> > Daniel Morgan
>
> Thanks Daniel, but how about for my temporary segments ?
>
> In V$SYSSSTAT: sorts (disk)/sorts (memory) = 0.2% so I dont think I
> have to increase the sort_area_size parameter.

I'd agree

Moreover if you don't currently have a performance problem with sorts then I'd suggest by far and away the easiest thing to to is to set the uniform size to whatever you currently set as initial and next. In an ideal world it would obviously be a multiple of 64k (sort area size) but it doesn't sound like you need to put a hell of a lot of effort into tuning sorts on this sytem anyway.

--
Niall Litchfield
Oracle DBA