Re: Insufficient Privileges?

From: RSH <RSH_Oracle_at_worldnet.att.net>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 06:17:25 GMT

"Remember, only the object owner may grant privileges to others."

I think I have said that about 1,000,000 times over the years.

a corollary is:

"Remember that any privileges inherited by virtue of roles will not have any effect (any good effects, anyway) if a user with do_what_I_think_itll_do as an assigned, active role executes a stored procedure or other PL/SQL object; the owner of those objects must be granted access, again, by logging in as the owner of the objects to be accessed."

and

"Calling PL/SQL over database links makes life quite interesting for programmers and DBA's both, the latter needing a lot of aspirins."

The giveaway words to listen for are" "Well everything works fine for me, but not for any of the test users!"

And the root (pardon the pun) is usually the programmer owns the tables and whatnot, so of course everything works, and the mess is usually stored procedures and forgetting about the privilege inheritance, as the test users have their table/etc privs granted through roles.

Very nice catch, Santosh!!

RSH. "Dan White" <dan.white_at_theinstitute.ca> wrote in message news:3C7D2A7F.8030704_at_theinstitute.ca...
> YOU ROCK! I am suck an Idiot. Some time the small things get you!
>
> Thanks a million.
>
> Dan
>
> santosh sharma wrote:
>
> > connect as HQ_NATIONAL and then grant
> > hth
> > santysharma
> >
> > "Dan White" <dgwhiteNOSPAM_at_telusplanet.net> wrote in message
> >
> >>I Have Oracle 8.1.7 installed on Windows 2000 sp2. I am setting the
> >>server up for the official Oracle curriculum. We used to teach Oracle 8,
> >>now we are moving to 8i. I have scripts for a workshop that set tables
> >>specific to a course we teach. The problem I am having is with the final
> >>script that sets permissions to the tables.
> >>
> >>The exact syntax I am using is as follows:
> >>
> >>Grant Select, Insert, References On HQ_NATIONAL.Personal_Credit to
IS_NS;