Re: partiioning option not worth it?

From: Mark Townsend <markbtownsend_at_attbi.com>
Date: Thu, 28 Feb 2002 04:13:34 GMT

in article k4Jd8.13062$H43.1551647_at_news11-gui.server.ntli.net, Keith Boulton at kboulton_at_ntlworld.com wrote on 2/23/02 1:13 AM:

> Which is my point. I am more and more convinced that partitioning is
> *mostly* trivial.

For small amounts of data building your own partitioning scheme IS trivial. But how much data are you adressing ? Doing multiple full table scans on what is basically a union all view is easy when you only have 10 Mb of data total to look at - and is a completely different story when you need to address +500 Gb of data in a single table. And your solution doesn't support secondary indices, prune partitions, determine the best optimizer plan from both table and partition level statistics, perform partition-wise joins or prevent you from updating rows so that they no longer blong to the correct 'logical' partitions (or move the rows if you do).

I would agree that from your description, the partitioning option is way overkill for your problem. But for big sites with vast amounts of data, they simply could not survive without partitioning.

BTW - I believe the row movement problem will be an issue in your app given your description of how you are using codes to determine which partition to ship queries to. Received on Wed Feb 27 2002 - 22:13:34 CST