Re: DATABASE RECOVERY

From: damorgan <dan.morgan_at_ci.seattle.wa.us>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 18:57:29 GMT

This is a really good time to go to management and tell them they were so busy pinching pennies that they just cost themselves thousands. They'll be more receptive now than after you fix the problem.

I'd create two new instances. One for one backup set ... another for the stand-alone datafile. Then try to merge them using a database link. Likely it will be a horrible mess. Undoubtedly it will cost them far more than good practices like testing backups regularly and turning on archive logging.

This might also be a great time to tell them that Oracle 7 hasn't been supported since the time before ball point pens were invented. Get them while they are most receptive to a dose of reality. Otherwise your resume will be about as valuable as that of an RPG2 expert.

Daniel Morgan