Re: Maximum Oracle instances on a Server?

From: damorgan <dan.morgan_at_ci.seattle.wa.us>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 17:17:04 GMT

I agree with every comment everyone made. But with respect to the money issue ... I strongly suggest that everyone go to eBay and put in the following search criterion:

"Sun Server" where right now there is a SUN Netra T1 105 Server for $1099 and a Enterprise 3000 with 4 CPUs and 4GB RAM for $8900. What company can't afford this?
or
"HP 9000" where right now there is a K machine with 2GB RAM, 2x4GB disks, 8x4GB disks, etc. fpr $4800. Or how about an L-1000 enterprise rack server for $7500?

Sure they're not completely built out. But the parts are available and they are not exactly scrap metal.

If you need more servers ... think creatively. Two weeks ago I got an Sun Ultra 5 and an HP 9000 C machine, all for less than $1000 including shipping. And either could be used for a department-level instance supporting 10-20 users.

Daniel Morgan