Re: 4 x 15Krpm drives or 6 x 10Krpm drives?

From: Wujo <Wujo_at_wujo.wujo>
Date: Wed, 27 Feb 2002 14:23:11 GMT

.

> When you need to have additional I/O, a PowerVault external storage
> cabinet goes for about $6000 fully loaded with 12 x 18 GB 10Krpm drives.
> Yum. Then you can start talking about optimal layouts.
>
> Do not, under any circumstances, trust your online redo logs on a
> write-back cached volume with a Dell RAID controller. Ever. That is the
> quickest way to be performing recovery short of pulling drives out of a
> running server. The PERC that shipped with the 2300 series was not very
> good.

Isn't a DELL RAID controller required to connect to a PowerVault?

Are you saying to turn off the write-back cache?

What about with a battery-backed RAID controller?

> Any why are you putting everything on one logical volume?

Is it not sometimes easier to use stripe sets with just 4 drives than trying to figure out how to split up the data,index,redo,OS,page etc? Received on Wed Feb 27 2002 - 08:23:11 CST