Re: Maximum Oracle instances on a Server?

From: Murali <oraclems_at_hotmail.com>
Date: 26 Feb 2002 18:54:01 -0800

damorgan <dan.morgan_at_ci.seattle.wa.us> wrote in message but I've never understood
> the reason for creating another instance with its own SGA when you can just as
> easily create another schema with its own tablespaces.

Creating schemas is easy. Try maintaining it. What if I have ONE machine(no money for 2; it happens), but need two databases, one for OLTP that gets used a lot during the day and one DSS that is used only at night to run reporting jobs. I would create two different instances only because each instance would have its own (and different) tuning considerations and it is much easier to run both optimally if I dont have them in the same database as different schemas. I dont want to tune the db for my DSS schema to find out next morning that my OLTP schema is all screwed up.

As for the original post, like you said, it depends on what you're doing and how big (memory and space) each db will be.

Murali
http://www.dbaquest.com/ Received on Tue Feb 26 2002 - 20:54:01 CST