Re: Database file configuration for backup/recovery

From: Howard J. Rogers <dba_at_hjrdba.com>
Date: Tue, 26 Feb 2002 08:35:46 +1100

Recovery time is a combination of the amount of redo to be read, and the number of buffers to be recovered. The log_checkpoint parameters only affect the first of those. You could imagine, for example, a transaction which does expensive inserts and deletes, thus generating reams of redo, but which happened only to affect one or two buffers. Lots of redo to be read, few buffers to be recovered. Conversely, a bunch of updates might generate piddly amounts of redo, but dirty hundreds of buffers (each of which then has to be read from disk on subsequent startup, thus generating stacks of *datafile* I/O).

You need to set FAST_START_IO_TARGET to limit the number of buffers effectively. The_interval and _io_target parameters in tandem do a pretty good job of limiting recovery time.

Regards
HJR

Resources for Oracle: http://www.hjrdba.com