Re: NT/2000 schedulable Process

From: Fraser McCallum <fmcc_at_NOSPAModbaguru.com>
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2002 00:46:32 -0000

OK fine it works for you, I was commenting based on some very old experience! Way back when I first did a hot backup of Oracle on NT version 3.x the backup scripts written by our NT support people using xcopy failed! So I looked up the Oracle manual and it said use ocopy.... the current 8.1.7 manual still has this advice and so I naturally assumed it was current. Perhaps MS fixed their copy stuff in a version/patch since and never told Oracle.

BTW I'm curious, are you updating the contents of your files while doing these hot backups as that was where our problems were occurring? Also where in NZ are you? I'm from Wellington originally.

:)

Fraser McCallum
MVP Oracle Administration
www.brainbench.com

"Howard J. Rogers" <dba_at_hjrdba.com> wrote in message news:a59agd$tnd$1_at_lust.ihug.co.nz...
> Of course there are.... scripts. It was the statement that 'you will need
> to use ocopy...' that I was taking issue with.
>
> And I still take issue with it: perhaps you could explain this little set
of
> steps for me?
>
> C:\Documents and Settings\howardjr>net use z:
\\Mozart\Oracle\oracle\oradata
> The command completed successfully.
>
> C:\Documents and Settings\howardjr>copy z:\db2\users01.dbf d:users01.bkp
> 1 file(s) copied.
>
> C:\Documents and Settings\howardjr>
>
> 1 file copied, and not a Ocopy in site. Just boring old copy. (Oh, and
> just for good measure, I then broke the database, restored the copy, and
> performed recovery, all just fine).
> Regards
> HJR
>
> --
> Resources for Oracle: http://www.hjrdba.com
> ===============================
>

> "Fraser McCallum" <fmcc_at_NOSPAModbaguru.com> wrote in message
> > Howard, what happens if your sick.... no backups?
> >
> > "Howard J. Rogers" <dba_at_hjrdba.com> wrote in message
> > > Odd. I do hot copies on Win2K and XP, simply by using Explorer, and
> doing
> > > the deed with my mouse. Just thought I'd mention it.
> > >
> > > Regards
> > > HJR
> > > --
> > > Resources for Oracle: http://www.hjrdba.com
> > >

> > > "Fraser McCallum" <fmcc_at_NOSPAModbaguru.com> wrote in message
> > > backups,
> > > it's
Also