Re: How many DBA's?

From: Mark <mark_at_foxhillgroup.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2002 23:25:23 GMT

Not a contract wrangler. Just someone who knows the value of not burning out technical staff. If you are providing quality 7x24 support you need enough warm bodies so people can go on vacation, attend training, and generally have a life. Otherwise, people burn out and your have high staff turnover. As for the 30 DBA's - we cover, as a team, 5 locations in 4 states. The application mix is 60% home grown applications, 20% vendor apps from vendors without a clue about how Oracle works, and 20% solid vendor applications. Everyone gets to attend training to stay current, have a predictable schedule, and turnover is very low. No one has left the team in 3 - 4 years. I have done the "superman" 80 hour week, work every weekend, take the laptop, cell phone, and pager on vacation, DBA thing in the past. Not what I call a quality life.

Mark...