log file sync

From: <terrysutton_at_usa.net>
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2002 20:37:13 GMT

I'm experiencing substantial waits on log file events, as seen below:

                                    Time Waited  % Time
Wait Event                                (min)  Waited Waits (k) % Waits

----------------------------------- ----------- ------- --------- -------
log file sync 538 55.94 1042 30.31 db file sequential read 169 17.56 1170 34.05 log file parallel write 123 12.82 989 28.79 db file parallel write 95 9.90 35 1.03

From this, it appears that log file sync wait time is about 4-5 times log file parallel write time. I've been looking at some of the advice on Steve Adams' IXOra site, and it seems that my "sync cost" is thus around 4, and I should probably have a smaller log buffer size. But when I run his lgwr_stats script, I get the following results:

    Average Log
     Write Size

           2048

     Background
 Write Theshold

          87552

Sync Cost Ratio

           1.13

Which indicates a much lower sync cost. I realize this is not a "IXOra scripts forum", but which is the proper sync cost, and does my log buffer need to be smaller? It is currently 256K.

--Terry