Re: DELETE statement performance problem

From: Tanya <tanya8g_at_yahoo.com>
Date: 22 Feb 2002 12:25:09 -0800

mike2322_at_hotmail.com (Mike Liu) wrote in message news:<2262aa8e.0202220723.61670a81_at_posting.google.com>...
> Just a guess. If the address_id is referenced by some foreign keys in
> other tables and the index is missing on some of those foreign keys
> column, deleting from address table will cause full table scans on the
> child tables. It might be the reason why delete is running slow. I
> guess when you tried update, you were not updating the address_id
> column.
>
> hth,
> Mike

Mike,

THANKS A LOT !!!!! That really what was my problem in !!!

we have FK in couple of another tables and they were not indexed. After I indexed them - DELETE completes in 0.3-0.5 sec ! I'm so happy :)))

And you were right - when I did UPDATE, i didn't update address_id. And when I tryed :
UPDATE address
set address_id = 12346
where address_id = 12345
 I also got 5-6 sec.

But now, after indexing all FK, everything starts to work just fine.

Thanks a lot again.
Tanya. Received on Fri Feb 22 2002 - 14:25:09 CST