Re: Is using OPTIMAL in RBS ORA-1555 prone?

From: Howard J. Rogers <dba_at_hjrdba.com>
Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2002 04:50:15 +1100

Why on Earth would you ever get an 'unable to extend' error message, unless your rollback segments were growing in size? (Bear with me, I'm leading up to something here...!)

And if your rollback segments are growing in size, it means that either you haven't made them big enough in the first place or your users are royal pains in the butt who refuse to commit their transactions in a timely fashion.

The cure here is not to dabble with Optimal, but to invest in appropriate storage for rollback segments that are sufficient unto the task that is required of them, and/or to beat your Users around the earlobes until they start behaving.

The second option is usually more fun (for the DBA). Even funnier -start killing off transactions that have been pending for a long time. That usually teaches them quite fast.

Regards
HJR

Resources for Oracle: http://www.hjrdba.com