Re: Migrating databases

From: Albert Marshall <albert_at_execfrog.demon.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 13:19:53 +0000

In article <a551tq$m21$1_at_newsreader.mailgate.org>, Francesco Sblendorio <sblendorio_at_infomedia.it> writes
>Hello,
>I need to migrate a rather big database from Access to Oracle. Someone knows
>a rather known method to do this?

I haven't tried any of the Oracle migration tools, but I do have a lot of experience migrating data into Oracle from Access.

If the data structure is going to be the same there are several tools that will reverse-engineer an Access database to an Oracle schema and produce the SQL needed to build it. Once that is done you can link to the Oracle tables and use append queries to pump the data across.

One thing I have found with this is that an append of more than about 50,000 records gives Oracle's rollback segments indigestion if they are left in their default configuration. I usually get round this by splitting the data in 40,000 record chunks because that is easier than getting the DBA to play with the Oracle configuration.

--
Albert Marshall
Database developer