?? Which book to read to become a good Database Developer ??

From: Justin <dontbother_at_fake.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 08:45:31 -0800

Hi, there,

    I'm thinking about become a database developer (for enterprise, if possible, with EAI), probably Oracle is the only reasonable choice (?). I am a Java programmer, been using Oracle as back end. But havn't poke around it much. So basiclly I'm a kind of beginner for Oracle development.

    What book would you recommand that can get me a database developer job 3 months down the road (not right now, of course, besides, I need time to read).

    I've heard "Expert one on one" is pretty good, tom kyte is smart, but I don't think it fits me at this stage. I need to learn a wide range of stuff, not too deep. Is anyone have opinion on "Oracle 8i Enterprise Development", it seems fit my situation, covers a lot of concepts and tools in a single book.

   What's your opinion on 8i vs 9i, should I start off with 9i?    I know this is Oracle group, but I still want to ask: Should I spend time on other database development, i.e. DB2 and SQL server (I dislike M$, BTW).

Thank you in advance

Justin Received on Fri Feb 22 2002 - 10:45:31 CST