Re: Risk in using sequence number?

From: John Russell <netnews2_at_johnrussell.mailshell.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 10:26:48 GMT

In 9i, you could insert SYSTIMESTAMP which gives much better granularity than SYSDATE.

I have always been happy to use sequence numbers to ensure uniqueness and to guarantee that later values are higher than earlier ones. Although I usually assign a bunch of sequence values all at once rather than spread out over time. (SQL*Loader can assign sequence values to a column as it loads a set of rows, which I find cleaner than assigning the sequence values via UPDATE and doing an ALTER TABLE to change that column to the primary key.)

John

--
Got an Oracle database question?
Try the search engine for the database docs at: