Another angle on this....

From: Norman Dunbar <Norman.Dunbar_at_lfs.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 09:24:22 -0000

Morning,

I've been folloiwng this discussion and note that you mention a bug in the Oracle ODBC driver relating to array fetches.

>> I have to turn off ODBC array-fetches because of an
>> obscure bug in the Oracle ODBC driver.

I too have an app which uses the ODBC driver to access Oracle (or any other database) and we have been having problems in that it fetches a single row from the database on each request. After setting up a test program, I've been able to deduce that the Oracle ODBC driver (up to verion 817) ignores the setting for SQL_ATTR_ROW_ARRAY_SIZE and always returns a single row, regardless of how big you make this.

I did find a workaround, in the ODBC setup, check out the setting for Prefetch - it usually defaults to 1 (or maybe 10) and this does have the noted results. By increasing this setting to 1000 I was then able to retrieve 999 (!) rows per fetch and this has made a vast improvement to the app. As the app is a thrid party one, I have no access to the source code, so making the driver go faster was all I could do.

I have a TAR open with Oracle on this problem, but further testing on the Microsoft supplied ODBC driver for Oracle shows that the default buffer size is 65KB and adjusting that down to 1024 shows that the SQL_ATTR_ROW_ARRAY_SIZE does have an affect on the number of rows returned per fetch.

I'd be interested to know if this is the problem you are finding with your 'obscure bug'.

Regards,
Norman.

Norman Dunbar			EMail:	Norman.Dunbar_at_LFS.co.uk
Database/Unix administrator	Phone:	0113 289 6265
				Fax:	0113 289 3146
Lynx Financial Systems Ltd.	URL:	http://www.Lynx-FS.com