Re: partiioning option not worth it?

From: Keith Boulton <kboulton_at_ntlworld.com>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 08:44:32 -0000

Did I say I was going to implement the full functionality.

No.

This is an argument I've heard many times and it's crap.

The alternatives are not: buy an expensive piece of software or duplicate it.
The alternatives are: buy an expensive piece of software or implement the small subset of it that you actually need.

In the project I'm working on this will take 1 day's coding and unit testing.

You can argue that in my case (given we have a corporate licence for EE), the cost saved is "only" £14000. But that's a saving for one developer on one small system, and could have been greater if they'd not already wasted their money on EE. If every member of this particular department avoided a spend of £14,000 that would be £560,000 saved - it is not a small number.

It is my experience that a tremendous amount of money is wasted on expensive software that is not actually required, because people do not understand the 80/20 rule.