Re: partioning option not worth it?

From: John Darrah <jdarrah_at_veripost.net>
Date: Fri, 22 Feb 2002 00:44:42 +0000 (UTC)

I think you are kidding yourself with your one day estimate but mabey not. Having gone down the road of creating "roll your own" workarounds to existing functionallity, all I can say is yes, its possible but in a lot of environments, its impractical. With one developer, the "the pain in the ass factor" of splitting up tables into partition views is 2 (double that of using partitioning). The problem is that this number goes up exponentially the more developers / groups of developers you have working in your company. Also, I'm pretty sure that Oracle is desupporting partition views in release 9.2 (anyone have confirmation on that one? I'm too lazy to look it up right now) in which case your solution has a limited life span. Not saying its a bad idea just that it is probably not as easy as you make it seem.