Re: Risk in using sequence number?

From: Sybrand Bakker <postbus_at_sybrandb.demon.nl>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2002 22:14:26 +0100

On Thu, 21 Feb 2002 13:18:25 -0700, "Leigh Gold" <intan_5ee_at_yahoo.com> wrote:

>What is the risk involved in using sequence number to keep track of the last
>record in a table?
>
>We use a table to keep history of an event, everytime an event changes, we
>insert a row in this history table with a sequence number as its primary key
>and information about this event. We are basing our query on max(sequence)
>to track the last time this event occurred. For some reason, the developer
>refuses to use sysdate for this purpose.
>
>Is there any risk involved in using the method?
>
>Thanks,
>
>Leigh

Loosing sequence numbers is inevitable using the cache option (which is the default) I'm not sure this won't happen with the nocache option. However, I never use that as the sequence number is supposed to be meaningless, and your sequence number should be meaningful. Probably hiring a different developer will be cheaper in the long run.

Hth

Sybrand Bakker, Senior Oracle DBA

To reply remove -verwijderdit from my e-mail address Received on Thu Feb 21 2002 - 15:14:26 CST