Risk in using sequence number?

From: Leigh Gold <intan_5ee_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 21 Feb 2002 13:18:25 -0700

What is the risk involved in using sequence number to keep track of the last record in a table?

We use a table to keep history of an event, everytime an event changes, we insert a row in this history table with a sequence number as its primary key and information about this event. We are basing our query on max(sequence) to track the last time this event occurred. For some reason, the developer refuses to use sysdate for this purpose.

Is there any risk involved in using the method?

Thanks,

Leigh Received on Thu Feb 21 2002 - 14:18:25 CST